The Ultimate Software Development Career Guide in the Age of Technology Disruption
Want to stand out amongst other software developers, whether in your job search, within your company or in your career? Are you tired of being passed over for opportunities, feeling like you don't belong in tech, or that your talents are undervalued?
The technology landscape has evolved and software is changing the world. Therefore, it's no wonder that the career path of software developers is very different now compared to a decade ago. In this book, I will be sharing practical advice and useful tips to help you succeed in the software development industry. The book is organised into 4 parts - Exploring, Landing, Performing and Accelerating.
Regardless of whether you are thinking about starting a career as a software developer, or wanting to make an impact as an experienced software developer, or considering a slightly different technical role, or thinking about making the leap into people management, this book is for you.
There is also a bonus chapter for women in technology because I am a huge advocate for women in technology. If you’re a woman in technology, you will probably find yourself nodding along as you read the chapters in this section. If you’re not a woman, I’d still encourage you to read it as this section will increase your awareness on the important issue of gender inequality in technology and help shed some light on women’s perspectives of things.
📥 Read the sample chapter.
Table of Contents
Part I: Exploring
- Debunking Ten Common Myths About a Career in Software Development
- Five Easy Techniques for Developers to Ace Face-to-Face Interviews
- Things You Should Never Say When Interviewing for a Developer Role
- How to Avoid Common Learning Mistakes That Developers Make
Part II: Landing
- Manifesto for Awesome Developers
- How to Become the Most Productive Developer
- A Developer’s Guide to Setting and Smashing Career Goals
- Tips on Hiring or Working As an Outsourced Developer
Part III: Performing
- A Developer’s Guide to Becoming an Intrapreneur and Making a Difference
- How to Get out of Your Coding Rut and Move Forward with Your Career
- The One Essential Skill That Will Set You Apart From Other Developers
- Unlocking Your Potential by Developing Growth Mindset
- Seven Practices to Asking Thoughtful, Meaningful and Impactful Questions
Part IV: Accelerating
- Want to Grow Your Career? Don’t Work Harder, Instead, Be More Strategic.
- Four Warning Signs that You Are Getting Too Comfortable in Your Job
- Five Feminine-coded Traits That Every Leader Should Have
- How to Survive and Thrive as a Technology Leader
Part V: Being a Woman in Technology
- The Perks of Being a Female In STEM
- Size Doesn’t Matter
- Five Helpful Hacks to Get More Done Every Day As a Working Mother
- How to Retain Female Talent in Technology
BONUS: A Personal Branding Checklist for Professionals PDF
Everyone has a personal brand. But only some cultivate it.
Whether you’re looking for a job, want to establish yourself as an expert in your field or share your knowledge and give back to the community, it pays to invest in your personal brand.
This practical checklist will guide you through the tasks that you need to complete in order to build a consistent and personalised online presence.
Once you’ve completed all the items in the checklist, you will have a personal brand online that showcases your uniqueness and strengths and stands out from the crowd.
📥 Read the sample chapter.
If you'd like to expense the purchase, here is an email template you can use to convince your manager.
About the author
Hello! My name is Isabel Nyo. I am a Senior Engineering Leader, Technologist, Author and Speaker. I’ve got almost 20 years of experience in the tech industry, with startups to Fortune 500 tech companies. I help professionals in the tech industry accelerate their career growth via mindset & strategies.
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.