A practical guide for engineering managers at tech companies.
The book is very targeted for engineering managers, and in this book, you won't find generic advice like having regular 1:1's, giving feedback, etc. Yes, those things are absolutely important, but they are not specific to an engineering manager's role. It's my goal to make sure this book provides a concise and actionable guide for engineering managers, the specific and niche content for engineering managers that you won't find in other leadership and management books.
Here is the table of content.
Table of Content
Level 1 Engineering Manager’s How-to Guide
- How To Transition From A Software Engineer To An Engineering Manager
- How To Recognise That You’re Not Ready To Be An Engineering Manager Yet
- How To Survive And Then Thrive as A New Engineering Manager
- How To Identify Five Common Mistakes That Engineering Managers Make
- How To Gain Ten Essential Skills That Engineering Managers Need
Level 2 Engineering Manager’s How-to Guide
- How To Understand Different Types Of Engineers
- How To Create Growth Opportunities For Engineers
- How To Measure Performance Of Your Engineering Teams
- How To Watch Out For The Telltale Signs Of Disengaged Engineers
- How To Still Be A Maker When You’re An Engineering Manager
Level 3 Engineering Manager's How-to Guide
- How To Scale Your Engineering Organisation For Growth
- How To Build A Diverse And Inclusive Engineering Organisation
- How To Foster A Culture Of Innovation
- How To Think And Act Like A CEO
Bonus: Learn From My Experiences
- Four Things I Wish I Knew As The New CTO Of A Startup
- A Day In The Life Of A Senior Engineering Manager
📥 Read the key takeaways from each chapter of the ebook.
If you'd like to expense the purchase, here is an email template you can use to convince your manager.
🚀 As an engineering manager, you may also like my related product, The Product Goals System, which can be used to create an alignment and accountability for your product goals with your team.
About the author
Hello! My name is Isabel Nyo. I am a Senior Engineering Leader, Technologist, Author and Speaker. I’ve got almost 20 years of experience in the tech industry, with startups to Fortune 500 tech companies. I help professionals in the tech industry accelerate their career growth via mindset & strategies.